Thursday 25 May 2017

Mark's final thoughts

Hello Tuesday and Thursday SWAP Nurses!


Well, here I am penning my last post of this blog for your Communication classes. It’s been an intense and, I hope, educational year for all of us (we learn too, you know!) Please read my words and I would be grateful if you could add some words of your own at the bottom in the comments section. You may not wish to write as much as I have or follow the same cyclical structure, but your comments would be appreciated all the same, whether they be good, bad or indifferent.

We (lecturers) should, I believe, always be prepared to do the tasks which we ask students to do. So, in that spirit, I aim, right here and right now, to write my own reflections and evaluation of the year.
Structure is (arguably) the most important aspect of anything concerning Communication, so here is how I have put my words together:

- Introduction – motivation and expectations
- Positive experiences
- How my course could be improved
- Evaluation of my own performance
- Conclusion – what I have learned

Mark's Reflective Words

So, to start, what was my motivation and expectations at the beginning of the year? (Ah yes, the old, trusty question to get a written piece kick-started). Well, beside my big, fat salary (that's a joke, obviously), my motivation was to create a supportive but challenging learning environment to allow you all to develop as learners. That all sounds a bit woolly but I suppose that’s what teaching is for me. Sometimes the word “teach” is too blunt an instrument for my liking.

My expectation was that I would be working with a group of initially nervous, able and interesting students who would be ready for a challenge. I wasn’t wrong. This was my first year teaching on this particular Access course here at Motherwell, so I was, in a sense, new as well. Not to teaching, not to Communication, not even to the Unit, but to a Nursing cohort at New College Lanarkshire. I think we were all up for the challenge and, although, tough at times, I am certain we all learned a great deal along the way.

It’s impossible to predict how classes will gel, but from very early on it was clear that you all worked and really importantly, 'learned' very well together. This intra-class dynamic is crucial to the development of a positive learning environment - it was always a pleasure to walk into your classes.

This brings me to my positive experiences. To be honest, the positive experiences are really too numerous to mention. One of the most fundamental factors in teaching I think, is developing positive relationships with learners. I feel that I was lucky in developing such relationships with each and every one of the class. So, my primary positive experience is the sum of all these relationships. I also feel that the blog we created together was an amazing journey, and most certainly a labour of love in my case! I really hope you enjoyed the experience and the end product. Next year's group has a great deal to live up to, make no mistake about that.

But what about improvements? (By the way, I hope you are all paying attention to my paragraphing and signposting). We always need to be aware of how things could be improved. So what about improvements in things that I have control of (and this segues into the evaluation of my own performance)? Well, that’s trickier as it requires a degree of self-criticism.

I suppose I’m asking myself "would I do anything different?" Well, I think I might time or pace assessments in a slightly different way next year. I was very conscious of the amount of assessments that you needed to get through this year. I made a conscious effort to space the assessments out, but maybe I would have done both reading together, both listening together and so on. The reason I didn't was to avoid lots of assessments at the one time but I am happy to be led by your individual comments on the assessment pattern. We did speaking, reading, reading, speaking, listening, writing, writing, listening as the order. That said, the way I paced the last three assessments worked particularly well given that we were often in the midst of National Striking latterly.

Deadlines. I have no doubt that I will be getting first drafts and remediated work in from some students right up to the final knocking, which on a personal level, will annoy me a little, certainly a raised eyebrow in tribute to the late, great, Sir Roger Moore! Should I have failed every student who didn’t make every deadline I set? Hmmm, well that is open to question, but is that the spirit of FE? I'm not sure. In fairness, you were really very good at getting your work in on time which made my life quite easy. But my own organisation skills were tested throughout and it is anticipated that you all knew where you stood with the (eight) assessments needed to pass FA1W 12. However, what I can note is that having taught and managed undergraduate and postgraduate courses at university, I know without a shadow of a doubt that universities will be stricter on making deadlines. Maybe I need to go on about that even more next year. (Already I can see the rolling-eyes of students I haven’t yet met). Joking aside though, meeting deadlines is an important part of all aspects of life and I have mentioned this on MANY occasions...

So, what have I learned? Well, amongst other things I’ve learned about coronary heart disease, the evolution of nursing through the years, Lambert Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome, Huntington's Disease, hey, you get my drift! I’ve also learned (or re-learned) that if we’re coasting along then we’re probably not learning a lot. But when we feel we are on the very edges of our comfort zone, then, possibly, we are learning. That’s what learning feels like. It’s not always a pleasant feeling at the time - but it seems worth the discomfort in retrospect. This is an important thing for us as lecturers to remember. We force students out of their comfort zone a lot. How often do we move out of ours?

I always like to think that one of my strengths as an educator is my time management and feedback skills. This takes a lot of time and effort to get right, so hopefully this is an area where you feel I have given you my very best attention. Oh, and a light peppering of humour never hurts either I always feel. Life can be so dull without a wee bit of laughter. And laughter is something they'll never take away from us.

I have spent a lot of time putting this blog together too and have really enjoyed the experience. I know that not all members of the parish are keen bloggers, but that's OK. I'm fine with that, I like to be flexible with my thought processes!

Another way of self-evaluating for me as a lecturer is asking the simple question "what did my students learn?" One way of getting a measure of that is by asking you to comment on the blog, e mail me, fill in the end of unit questionnaires etc. and unless you're all telling fibs, it seems that you all learned something along the way!

It was apparent from informal and formal mechanisms that the oral presentation delivery was the biggest fear for many students in the beginning. Oral presentation teaching is one of my passions of all the different areas of communication I teach, so it was refreshing to listen to so many amazing talks. The collegiate approach shown by you as a class, the expertise of the PP slides and the question and answer sessions were really entertaining at times.

So, to finish (and I just love cyclical structures), let's go right back to a question we started with at the very beginning of our time together: what is the purpose of education and communication? No need to reply, but I wonder has anyone changed their mind on that one …

Take care,

Mr H

22 comments:

  1. In the sprirt of kickstarting the comments thought i would pop by. First of all I want to thank you for your help and support over the last year. I have to admit seeing the level that we were aiming for at the beginning of the year was a little daunting as I have said to you in the past for a subject i was told so many times that i was not good at.

    Well today i passed, i have learned so much throughout the subject and learning good ways to stucture written pieces I can see where you were starting to guide us so many months ago. I do agree on perhaps grouping the listening, reading, writing, presentations a little more closely for me (all be it a personal one) i found that i was getting the hang of doing one form and understanding structure of it we would move onto another subject and go back which i did struggle with a little. Then again that could be the comfort zone thing, none the less i have truly enjoyed getting everything done I have learned so much along the way.

    I hope the SWAP class for next year doesnt put you through as much as we did and I agree on the definitions of deadlines if we cannot get used to it during college we shall have a massive wake up call thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah. It takes a lot of patience and organization to get 40 or so students through 8 assessments each (that's 320 lots of marking for this Unit alone). But I have been gratified by the positive comments from many students across both classes in terms of the skills you have learned. See you next week and thank you for kickstarting the comments off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed the Communication classes and we have all had lots of support right from the start. I definitely agree that Mark has a lot of patience and he always gave supportive feedback and was always prepared. I have learned so much from the teaching and from the class and it was a good laugh too. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for these comments anon, very positive. If a lecturer isn't organised then they cannot be effective, that's my belief. The blog was helpful to ensure everybody in the respective classes knew what they needed to do and when, and the reflections I posted (with particular reference to the oral presentations) were a good way for all participants (including me)to feedback on the respective sessions. One thing to be cautious off, is that you are unlikely to get as much support when you move into Higher Education. You will still receive support of course, but I am reasonably certain it will not be to the level you have been used to at Motherwell. Autonomous learning will be the watchword. Keep the comments coming guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed Marks class in fact been on of my favourites to have taken. I feel I have came a long way due to the way we are taught by Mark. I know I still have a way to go though but believe I will get there now. Mark is really good at teaching us and also it's been good to get the feedback it's his enthusiasm that makes it enjoyable. Is a definite 180 from me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice darting analogy there Jamie, very good! As servicing lecturers it is my philosophy to make sure I understand what kind of content you are learning about in other classes, which means I can see where the skills development opportunities are. I have also enjoyed getting to know Yvonne and some of the lecturers who teach you in the Nursing Department too. You have progressed well Jamie and it is nice to hear positive comments about the way I provide feedback in particular, so thank you for that. See you tomorrow for the final session.

      Delete
  6. I have always found Marks class to be good he is always giving us feedback and showing you where you went wrong the last few weeks were manic but Mark was prepared as always thank you for being a great teacher and making me learn so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really enjoyed your class Mark, it was so nice to have a lecturer who was so positive and always willing to take on other people opinion's and never tell us that our thinking was wrong because that wasn't what you thought. They way you gave us feedback on all of our assessments really helped us all too, I wish we had got that from more of our lecturers

    I always came away from your class learning something new and having enjoyed it. I thought the way we done our assessments was really good, we had plenty of time to get everything done and plenty of time to put off that listening one (I HATE RUSSELL BRAND) I really enjoyed doing all the rest.

    Your class has been one of the best, you have taught us all so much and we have all really enjoyed your classes.

    Thanks very much for everything Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Communications has been one of my favourite sujects during this course i feel the way Mark has taught us has helped me in every other class. I love how passionate Mark is when teaching and how he takes his time to listen and give feedback to each and everyone of his students. Thinking back to the start of the course hearing how many assessments we had to do seems like years ago, now the course is almost over and all those assessments have came and gone with the amazing help from Mark �� Thank you Mark, you have been absolutly amazing and I hope to meet mire lecturers like yourself at university xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mr Mark,I came into your class like a scared child, but I needn't have worried, as you gave us all the support from the first day and pushed us to show our potential, it's been a pleasure to know you, and such a great experience with your Sharp methods of teaching, you have taught me so much, so I am very grateful for that. If all lecturers were like you then learning would be a breeze.You have been by far, my best lecturer. Thank you mark!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really enjoyed my time in your communications class, it definitely has been one of the best! Your teaching and your feedback on all of my work in communications really helped me with this unit and it has helped me with all my other classes in this course with essays and reports as well.
    Thank you so very much for everything this past year xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, some lovely comments coming in and I am truly humbled. You are allowed to be critical too though, I'm not precious! But it is lovely to read so many positive comments, thank you. So, to address some of the themes then. Yes, feedback is arguably one of the most important aspects of learning and in some ways we did that in the open with the self, peer and lecturer small group feedback sessions after the presentations, face to face in the initial reading and listening assessments and latterly by e mail for the remaining three outcomes. A variety of methods for different learning situations. It is also interesting to see how YOU as students measure the effectiveness of feedback. We all learn differently, we all have different reasons for wanting to do well and some learners are happy with the short term feedback. "Let me know what I need to do to pass and I will do it". Is that an acceptable approach to learning? Yes, it certainly is. But the majority of you have demonstrated that you are deep learners, not surface learners, and you can see how the learning, teaching, assessment strategy I have put together will help you in other areas of the course and beyond, which is great. I too am not a fan of Mr Brand by the way, but I knew this assessment was actually fairly straight forward for you to analyse. It required you to really listen. What skills did you need? Listening, questioning, note taking, analysing, evaluating, critical thinking, summarising and cross referencing to my helpnotes. In fact this was one of the assessments which required the smallest amount of remediation across both classes. Cunningly placed right at the end, when I knew you HAD the aforementioned skills. Cunning huh! Just trust me, even when you were probably cursing me. I wasn't surprised at how many of you left that one to the end! Communication is by definition dynamic, and evolves. I have always made the point that I might not always agree with your answers, or share the same beliefs, but in a classroom setting everybody's opinion matters and I am glad you all took the opportunity to join in the discussions. Similarly, with the analysis questions, I might not always have agreed with some responses, but if they were backed up with appropriate supporting detail, it was good to go. I wonder how many times I wrote 'good answer, you have obviously understood the text, but can you provide some quotes to flesh your answer out please...!' Supporting you as learners, recognising your fears as well as your strengths is important to the learning process and everybody has developed well, no question about that. It is also worth remembering though, that YOU did and passed the assessments, not me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am proud of myself for passing all 8 assessments as I doubted myself at the start, but we got so much support from Mark. I think we sometimes forget how many extra classes he teaches as well as ours. Time managememt and organisation were discussed quite a lot and that there is lots of ways to do that well. Mark was always prepared so well and I wish I had looked at the blog more as there are so many interesting things in it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is sometimes easy to forget I also teach various Engineering, Sports, Admin, Business, Law and Accounting students, so thanks for making reference to that. Not teaching on a Friday has been very helpful for me in terms of marking and creating new assessments certainly.

      Delete
  13. This has been one of my most enjoyable classes. At the start of this course it seemed daunting at the prospect of having eight assessments for one class but we are at the end of the course, with all the assessments passed (with some great guidance from you!). The listening assessments were by far the toughest, having to listen to Peter Hitchens was my idea of hell!
    If I could say one thing about the order of the assessments, I think it would be beneficial for future SWAP students to have their report one earlier as there are so many to do in other classes. It was like we saved our best one until last. The way you taught us about the layout would have been so beneficial for other classes, though I'm aware that it's linked to the HIV class and it may not be possible.
    This blog has been beneficial throughout the course, the weblinks you put have helped with writing essays for other classes too and I wish it was still here to help us when we are at university.
    Thank you so much for all your help throughout you have been an inspiration.
    p.s Have a tissue ready for Connie when you are reading these comments out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this feedback Vikki and sorry you couldn't make the session today. Hitchens was always going to annoy people, but the trick was to see through that and evaluate! Which you all did to be fair. Regarding the integrated report, I had no choice on the timing as you have alluded to, as it is a second semester Unit and I had to fall into line with the assessment dates. I had agreed this way back in September and met both Moira and Ashley in January to agree the strategy. By and large this was successful. The blog will remain here for you to access should any of you want to access any of the weblinks etc., I won't be deleting this work of educational art! Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can remember the first communication class I attended, I was really apprehensive and didn't think I would enjoy the class as I thought the course work was a bit daunting. I'm glad my expectations were quickly turned around, I have enjoyed every aspect of the course work, well except the Russell Brand and Peter Hichens Newsnight assessment (I think we all agree)

    I have gained great skills that have helped me so much in other classes, such as being able to analyze, break down and take evidence from a piece of work. I have always felt as ease in the class and comfortable to give my opinion in class discussions. You have always showed an understanding and showed an interest in what your students opinions are and we have always felt our opinions mattered.

    Mark you have been an amazing lecturer, I cant thank you enough for all your help and support throughout the course, you have helped everyone in the class build confidence and believe in themselves.

    All in all I have thoroughly enjoyed the course, I have achieved things I never thought I would achieve and I have made amazing friends for life. Thank you, Nadine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Nadine, very measured. Sometimes we don't always like the assessments put in front of us, but we just have to roll with the punches I guess. Stretching students isn't a bad thing, nit literally you understand. I am certain that if I had started with the listening teaching and assessments I would have lost the class. There is always method in my approach! I am so glad that you have mentioned confidence building and that is something we will explore in the class at 11.15 I'm sure. Thank you for your kind reflections and for sending on the class e mails every now and again, as I was grateful for you doing that. Maybe we should start today's class off with some Russell Brand or Peter Hitchens videos? Maybe not ;-)

      Delete
  16. I will take this opportunity to give some feedback on my year in communications.

    When I started the year I doubted myself on everything you gave us, but due to your great ability to help me through the struggles I had I slowly began to gain confidence in my ability to complete assessments.

    I never in a million years thought I would pass communications and without your helpnotes and examples of layouts I probably would have struggled massively.

    Each assessment was clearly stated what we had to do and how we would achieve this. On the listening assessment I'm not sure if doing them together or apart would make much of a difference, in my opinion I preferred them together as what we learned from the Sam Kass assessment was fresh in our mind for the Russell Brand assessment.

    With all essays that were due in you gave us ample time to complete these.

    The idea of using our report from another class to expand on for an assessment in your class is a fantastic idea and takes the strain off a little.

    I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help and support through the year and hope you enjoy teaching a swap group again and that we have not put you off too much!

    Well wishes for the future

    Thanks again Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha, these are very kind and helpful comments. I wish you all the best for the future.

      Delete
  17. hi mark your class was one of my favourite classes during the course. I liked it at the beginning when we did some tasks to get to know one another that helped a lot especially when you don't know one another. you have helped me to structure my work better and to produce good work I have gained great skills to take with me as I move forward. I really enjoyed the course work it was very organised and structured (I like to be organised) I know there is certain things I need to work on your feedback helped a lot. I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your help and support I am sure any other swap classes that have you will feel the same as we did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your positive feedback Catherine and I'm glad you have valued the importance of feedback. I wish you all the very best for the future. Mark

    ReplyDelete